Chapter 11. Public Nuisances
Sec. 11-08. Abatement of public nuisances.
(1) Enforcement. The chief of police, the fire chief, and the director of public works shall enforce those provisions of this chapter that come within the jurisdiction of their offices; and they shall make periodic inspections and inspections upon complaint to ensure that such provisions are not violated. No action shall be taken under this section to abate a public nuisance unless the officer has inspected or caused to be inspected the premises where the nuisance is alleged to exist and has satisfied himself that a nuisance does in fact exist.
(2) Summary abatement. If the inspecting officer determines that a public nuisance exists within the city and that there is great and immediate danger to the public health, safety, peace, morals or decency, the mayor may direct the proper officer to cause the public nuisance to be abated and charge the cost thereof to the owner, occupant or person causing, permitting or maintaining the nuisance, as the case may be.
(3) Abatement after notice. If the inspecting officer determines that a public nuisance exists on private premises but that such nuisance does not threaten great and immediate danger to the public health, safety, peace, morals or decency, he shall serve notice on the person causing or maintaining the nuisance to remove the nuisance within ten days. If such nuisance is not removed within ten days, the proper officer shall cause the nuisance to be removed as provided in subsection (2) of this section.
(4) Other methods not excluded. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as prohibiting the abatement of public nuisances by the city or its officials in accordance with the laws of the state.
(5) Inspection warrants. If consent to enter personal or real properties which are not public buildings, or to enter portions of public buildings which are not open to the public, for inspection purposes has been denied, the inspecting officer shall obtain a special inspection warrant under § 66.0119 Wis. Stats.
(Code 1982, § 10.10)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents