Chapter 13. Public Works
Sec. 13-99. Special assessment rate for annexed property.
(1) Whenever municipal improvements have been or are hereafter installed in a street or highway which lies between the City of Marshfield and property not within the boundaries of the city, and where special assessments were not previously or cannot hereafter be levied against the abutting property lying outside of the city limits, and where such abutting property is hereafter annexed to the City of Marshfield, a charge shall be made for and levied upon such property as a special assessment which shall be equal to the cost of the installation of such improvements if the improvements were installed at the time of such annexation, less any payments previously made or applied, if the payments can be determined. Such charges shall then be collected by the City of Marshfield in the manner and under the terms then in effect in the City of Marshfield for special assessments levied for like improvements within the city limits, including the privilege of paying for such improvements in installments in the manner which may then be applicable.
(2) The petition for annexation, whether signed by all such property owners or not, and the annexation of the property concerned by the City of Marshfield, shall constitute an agreement on the part of all abutting property owners to pay such charges. No connection shall be permitted to any sanitary or storm sewer until and unless all such charges shall have been levied as set forth in subsection (1) of this section.
(3) Such charges, when collected, shall be deposited to the following accounts:
- The sanitary sewer charges to the account of the wastewater treatment utility.
- All other charges to the general funds of the city.
(Code 1982, § 8.17)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents