Chapter 14. Municipal Utilities
Sec. 14-102. Outdoor water usage restrictions.
(1) Water usage restrictions. The Marshfield utility manager with concurrence of the Marshfield Utility Commission and the council may impose voluntary or mandatory outdoor water usage restrictions on all water users in the City of Marshfield. The restrictions may apply to all properties using city water or to alternate sides of the street as deemed necessary by the utility manager. Alternate side restrictions would apply to even-numbered sides of the street on even-numbered calendar days and odd-numbered sides of the street on odd- numbered calendar days respectively. Restrictions may be for all day or for specified times each day. Reasons for such restrictions will be given with each notice. Notice of the restrictions shall be given to all news media in the City of Marshfield.
(2) Criteria for mandatory restrictions. Criteria for mandatory restrictions shall be as follows:
- To avoid undue stress upon the resources and reserve capacity of the water utility.
- To avoid sustained low pressure.
- To maintain reservoir levels sufficient to provide adequate fire protection.
- To compensate for loss of one or more wells.
(3) Outdoor water usage restrictions. The following restrictions would be imposed based on the needs and concerns of the water utility. The level of severity of the imposed restrictions would be based on such factors as weather conditions and/or forecasts; water distribution system pressure; reservoir levels and groundwater levels:
- Voluntary water restrictions.
- Mandatory water restrictions.
- Mandatory water restrictions even/odd sides of the street and specified times each day.
- Mandatory water restrictions on certain days of the week.
- Mandatory water restrictions for complete ban of outdoor water usage.
(4) Penalty. Any person, owner or occupant who violates any mandatory restriction on water usage issued pursuant to this section, or fails to comply with any of its requirements, shall upon conviction thereof, be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $20.00 nor more than $100.00. Each day such violation continues shall be considered a separate offense.
(Code 1982, § 13.31)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents