Chapter 6. Fire Protection
Sec. 6-53. Occupancy.
(1) No new construction or existing building shall be occupied in whole or in part in violation of the provisions of this chapter.
(2) Existing buildings that are occupied at the time of adoption of the ordinance from which this chapter derives shall remain in use, provided:
- The occupancy classification remains the same.
- There exists no condition deemed hazardous to life or property that would constitute an imminent danger.
(3) Buildings or portions of buildings shall not be occupied during construction, repair or alteration without the approval of the Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department if required means of egress are impaired or required fire protection systems are out of service, except normal or routine maintenance or repairs.
(4) Changes of occupancies. In any building or structure, whether necessitating a physical alteration or not, a change from one occupancy classification to another shall be permitted only if such building or structure conforms with the requirements of this chapter applying to new construction for the proposed new use.
(Code 1982, § 5.10)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents