Chapter 9. Licenses and Permits
Sec. 9-54. Circuses and amusement.
(1) License required. No person shall exhibit to public view or use, for gain within the city, any circus, pony ring, shooting gallery, carousel, cane rack, doll rack or other similar device for amusement, without first having obtained a license therefor as provided in this section.
(2) Classes of licenses and fees. There shall be the following classes and denominations of licenses which shall be granted by the city clerk with the approval of the license committee:
- Carnivals, caravans and indoor circuses. The fee for carnivals, caravans and indoor circuses shall be $2.00 per day for each riding device, show, stand or concession.
- Shooting galleries, carousels, cane racks, doll racks, pony rides and similar devices. The fee for shooting galleries, carousels, cane racks, doll racks, pony rides and similar devices shall be $2.00 per day for each device, whether connected with a carnival or not.
- Lunch wagons, popcorn wagons or food stands. The fee for lunch wagons, popcorn wagons or food stands shall be $2.00 per day for each wagon or stand, except stands located in permanent buildings which are assessed as real estate or personal property for tax purposes.
- Maximum annual fee. The maximum fee for each device or amusement licensed under this section shall be $15.00 per year.
(3) License application and issuance. All applications for licenses under this section shall be made to the city clerk, and the clerk shall give to the licensee a certificate, setting forth the name of the licensee, the purpose and time for which granted, and the amount to be paid for the license fee. Upon the showing of due proof that such amount has been paid the clerk shall issue the license, which shall be valid only for a period of time shown. Such licenses shall not be assignable.
(4) Exempted nonprofit functions. No license shall be required for activities under this section when gross revenues from such circuses and amusements are given directly to or made by a nonprofit corporation located in the city.
(5) Penalty. Penalty for violation of any provision of this section shall be as provided in section 1-05 of this Code. Each day on which a violation continues shall constitute a separate offense.
(Code 1982, § 12.06)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents