Edward Jones Investment Building
554 South Central Avenue
The Building, built in 1893, was originally constructed in the “Commercial Vernacular” style. Sometime after 1911 the face of the building was altered into the “Early 20th Century Commercial” style, which was popular from 1910 to 1930. This style is characterized by a simply ornamented, two dimensional façade on a broad rectangular building mass. The style was used for small one story storefronts and larger two to three story business blocks. The building is accented with simple geometric shapes in concrete. The parapet is topped with flat stone coping which crowns the building. The second story cornice features double concrete accent blocks, with simple cornices along the storefront and sides of the building.