Local, State and National Register
Wahle - Laird House
208 South Cherry Avenue
Built by Dr. Henry Wahle in 1904, this house is the best example of the Colonial Revival style in the City of Marshfield. In 1924, it was purchased by W.D. Connor, a leading Wisconsin lumberman, for his daughter Helen Connor Laird and her family. In 1992, it was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on the basis of its architectural distinction and in recognition of the public service of Helen Connor Laird and Melvin R. Laird, Sr. Mrs. Laird served as the first woman president of the Marshfield School Board, president of the Marshfield Library Board, member of the State Library Commission, and regent of the University of Wisconsin. Reverend Laird served as an Army chaplain in Europe during the first World War and as a member of the Wood County Board. In 1940, he was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate where he served until his death in 1946. The house was the childhood home of the Lairds’ four sons, the most famous of whom, Melvin R. Laird, Jr., succeeded his father in the State Senate, went on to be elected for nine consecutive terms to the United States House of Representatives, to serve as Secretary of Defense and as White House Counselor for Domestic Affairs to President Nixon. The house has recently been restored and continues to be occupied by members of the Laird Family.