Chapter 15. Buildings and Building Regulations
Sec. 15-01. Building services supervisor, office and duties.
(1) Office. There is hereby created the office of building services supervisor. Such office shall be appointed by the council.
a For purposes of Chapter 15, the term "building services supervisor" shall include his authorized agent who may act as required in his absence or in the event the building services supervisor is otherwise unavailable. Those so authorized include the Assistant Building Inspectors and other building services staff qualified to perform required duties.
(2) General duties. The building services supervisor shall have the necessary ability to supervise the general construction of buildings and the permanent equipment thereof. He shall have an office in the city hall and shall not be interested either directly or indirectly in the construction of buildings, the preparation of plans and specifications therefor or permanent building equipment.
(3) Jurisdiction. He shall have, except where otherwise provided in this Code, the general management and control of all matters pertaining to his office and shall enforce all state laws and city ordinances and lawful orders relating to the construction, alteration, repair, removal and safety of buildings and other structures and permanent building equipment.
(4) Scope of office. The building services supervisor shall have full power to pass upon any question arising under the provisions of this chapter relating to buildings, subject to conditions contained in this chapter.
(5) Records and reports. The building services supervisor shall keep records of all applications for building permits in a book for such purposes, and regularly number each permit in the order of its issue. He shall keep a record showing the number, description and size of all buildings erected during his term of office, indicating the kind of materials used and the cost of each building, and the aggregate cost of all buildings of the various classes. The building services supervisor shall prepare suitable forms for the applications and permits required and keep such in his office, and file an annual report covering the applications and permits with the council.
(6) Powers. The building services supervisor or an authorized agent thereof shall have the power and authority at all times for any purpose to enter upon any public or private premises and make inspection thereof and to require the production of the permit for any building, plumbing, electrical or heating work. Any person interfering with or refusing to permit access to any such premises to the building services supervisor or his agent while in the performance of his duties shall be deemed guilty of a violation of this chapter and punished as provided in this chapter. The building services supervisor shall have, except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the general management and control of all matters pertaining to the building services division including the authority to designate an agent to act on his behalf, and shall enforce all state laws, city ordinances and other lawful orders and regulations relating to the construction, alteration, repair, removal and safety of buildings and structures and also permanent equipment. The building services supervisor or his authorized agent shall have the power to issue citations enforcing chapters 11, 15, 16 and 17 of the Marshfield Municipal Code in the Marshfield Municipal Court. If entry is refused, the building services supervisor may obtain a special inspection warrant pursuant to § 66.0119, Wis. Stats.
(Code 1982, § 14.01; Ord. No. 1031, § 3, 10-12-2004; Ord. No. 1166, § 1, 11-10-2009)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents