Chapter 16. Plumbing
Sec. 16-25. Cross connection control.
(1) Definition. A cross connection shall be defined as any physical connection or arrangement between two otherwise separate systems, one of which contains potable water from the City of Marshfield water system, and the other, water from a private source, water of unknown or questionable safety, or steam, gases or chemicals, whereby there may be a flow from one system to the other, the direction of flow depending on the pressure differential between the two systems.
(2) Cross connection prohibited. No person shall establish or permit to be established or maintain or permit to be maintained any cross connection. No interconnection shall be established whereby potable water from a private, auxiliary or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the City of Marshfield may enter the supply or distribution system of the municipality, unless such private, auxiliary or emergency water supply and the method of connection and use of such supply shall have been approved by Marshfield Utilities and by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources in accordance with section NR 810.15(2) Wisconsin Administrative Code.
(3) Inspection. It shall be the duty of the city plumbing inspector to cause inspections to be made of all properties served by the public water systems where cross connections with the public water system are deemed possible. The frequency of inspections and reinspections based on potential health hazards involved shall be as established by the city plumbing inspector and as approved by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
(4) Right of entry for inspection. Upon presentation of credentials, the representative of the city plumbing inspector's office shall have the right to request entry at any reasonable time to examine any property served by a connection to the public water system of the City of Marshfield for cross connections. If entry is refused, such representative shall obtain a special inspection warrant under § 66.0119Wis. Stats. On request the owner, lessee or occupant of any property so served shall furnish to the inspection agency any pertinent information regarding the piping system on such property.
(5) Discontinuance of water service. Marshfield Utilities is hereby authorized and directed to discontinue water service to any property wherein any connection in violation of this section exists, and to take such other precautionary measures deemed necessary to eliminate any danger of contamination of the public water system. Water service shall be discontinued only after reasonable notice and opportunity for hearing under ch. 68 Wis. Stats., except as provided in subsection (6) of this section. Water service to such property shall not be restored until the cross connection has been eliminated in compliance with the provisions of this section.
(6) Emergency discontinuance of service. If it is determined by the Marshfield Electric and Water Department that a cross connection or an emergency endangers public health, safety or welfare and requires immediate action, and a written finding to that effect is filed with the clerk of the City of Marshfield and a copy delivered to the customer's premises, service may be immediately discontinued. The customer shall have an opportunity for hearing under chapter 68, Wisconsin Statutes, within ten days of such emergency discontinuance.
(7) Saving clause. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as conflicting with the state plumbing code adopted by this chapter by reference or the other provisions of this chapter, but shall be considered supplementary thereto.
(Code 1982, § 15.11)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents