Chapter 18. General Zoning Ordinance
Sec. 18-06. Rules of Interpretation
- In their interpretation and application, the provisions of this Chapter shall be held to be the minimum requirements for the promotion of the public health, safety, morals, and welfare, and shall be liberally construed in favor of the City and shall not be construed to be a limitation or repeal of any other power now possessed by the City of Marshfield.
- Where property is affected by the regulations imposed by any provision of this Chapter and by other governmental regulations, the regulations which are more restrictive or which impose higher standards or requirements shall prevail. Regardless of any other provision of this Chapter, no land shall be developed or used, and no structure erected or maintained, in violation of any state or federal regulations. Where there are conflicts between or among regulations within this Chapter, the regulations that are more restrictive or which impose higher standards or requirements shall prevail. In all instances, where there are conflicts between the text of this Chapter and any tables or figures of this Chapter, the text shall prevail.
- No structure, land, water, or air shall hereafter be used and no structure or part thereof shall hereafter be located, erected, moved, reconstructed, extended, enlarged, converted, or structurally altered without a building permit, except structures not requiring a building permit (e.g. swing set, clothesline, etc.), and without full compliance with the provisions of this Chapter and all other applicable local, county, and state regulations.
- Nothing herein contained shall require any changes in plans, construction, size, or designated use of any building or part thereof for which a building permit has been issued before the effective date of this Chapter, and the construction of which shall have been started within one year from the date of such permit.
- Except as provided in this Chapter, under provisions for nonconforming uses, nonconforming developments, substandard lots, and nonconforming structures and buildings (See Article V), no building, structure, development, or premises shall be hereinafter used or occupied, and no applicable permit granted, that does not conform to the requirements of this Chapter. In cases of mixed-occupancy or mixed-use, the regulations for each land use shall apply to the portion of the structure or land so occupied or so used.
Back to Chapter Table of Contents