Chapter 18. General Zoning Ordinance
Sec. 18-52. Regulations Applicable to All Land Uses
All uses of land initiated within the jurisdiction of this Chapter on, or following, the effective date of this Chapter shall comply with all of the provisions of this Chapter.
(1) Land Use Regulations and Requirements. All uses of land shall comply with all the regulations and requirements of this Chapter. Such regulations directly relate to the protection of the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents of the City of Marshfield.
(2) Density, Intensity, and Bulk Regulations and Requirements. All development and use of land shall comply with all the applicable requirements of Articles II and IV of this Chapter.
(3) Overlay Zoning District Requirements. All land use and/or development of land shall comply with all the regulations and requirements any applicable Overlay Zoning District (see Article VI).
(4) Performance Standards. All development of land shall comply with all applicable requirements established in Article VII.
(5) Landscape Regulations. All new development of land shall comply with all the regulations and requirements of Article VIII pertaining to the provision of landscaping and bufferyards. Such requirements address issues such as minimum required landscaping of developed land and minimum required provision of bufferyards between abutting zoning districts; which are directly related to the effective bulk of a structure.
(6) Signage Regulations. Except within the Campus Development District, all land use and/or development of land shall comply with all requirements of Chapter 24 Sign Code, pertaining to the type and amount of signage permitted on property. Such requirements address issues such as the maximum area of permitted signage and the number and types of permitted signage.
(7) Number of Buildings per Lot. Only one principal building shall be permitted on any one lot, with the following exceptions:
(a) Development in the Campus Development District (per Section 18-41 and 18-166).
(b) Group and Large Developments (per Section 18-114).
(c) Planned Developments (per Sections 18-42 and 18-167).
(d) Industrial Land Uses (see Section 18-59).
(e) Storage Land Uses (see Section 18-60).
(f) Temporary buildings.
(g) Mobile home parks.
(h) Buildings in public parks.
(8) Accessory Uses and Structures. Accessory uses and structures may be allowed where they comply with the requirements of Section 18-65.
(9) Group and Large Development Requirements. A Group or Large Development may include any of the land uses in this Chapter. All uses and/or development of land within a Group or Large Development shall comply with all requirements of Section 18-114.
(10) Planned Development Requirements. All uses and/or development of land within a planned development shall comply with all requirements of Sections 18-42 and 18-167.
(11) Nonconforming Lots, Uses, Structures, and Site Requirements. Land uses not in conformance with the requirements of the applicable zoning district shall be subject to the special limitations and exceptions as established in Article V. Land uses located on substandard lots or on nonconforming lots or in nonconforming structures shall comply with all the regulations and requirements of Article V. Substandard lots are buildable, provided the structures meet all other requirements of this Chapter.
(12) Outlots. Outlots approved prior to January 1, 2013, the effective date of this Chapter, that do not have access to a public right of way are not intended for development.
(13) Site Plan Review Required. All uses are subject to site plan review and approval in accordance with Section 18-164.
(14) Filling. Filling shall be in accordance with the following:
(a) Filling of low areas on lots or sites in the City of Marshfield involving amounts of fill in excess of 100 cubic yards shall require a land use permit issued by the administrator.
(b) Applicants for approval to fill must submit plans indicating the amount of fill proposed, type of fill, and the location of the fill.
(c) Upon inspection of the site, the administrator may request the City engineer to review the proposed fill and submit a written comment on the proposal.
(d) If the City engineer determines that the proposed fill would cause flooding or drainage problems on abutting properties, the administrator may reject, condition, or impose limitations on the proposed filling.
(15) Procedural Regulations and Requirements. All land use and/or development of land shall comply with all requirements of Article X pertaining to the procedures necessary to secure review and approval of land use and/or development. Such regulations and restrictions address both procedural and technical requirements.
Back to Chapter Table of Contents