Chapter 18. General Zoning Ordinance
Sec. 18-82. Nonconforming and Substandard Lots
(1) The following section shall apply to all lots in the City except in the following circumstances:
(a) The lot did not legally exist as of the effective date of this Chapter
(b) The lot is subject to legal proceedings.
(c) The lot is subject to a court order to the contrary of this Section.
(2) Blanket Conforming Status.
(a) Blanket conforming status for any and all requirements of this Chapter is hereby automatically granted to all nonconforming or substandard lots in their configuration existing or as finally approved as of the effective date of this Chapter. This Subsection ensures that lots approved and created prior to the adoption of this Chapter do not encounter difficulty because the lots would otherwise be considered nonconforming or substandard.
(b) After the effective date of this Chapter, no lot shall be created which does not meet the density, intensity, and bulk requirements of the zoning district per Article II.
(3) A lot of record existing upon the effective date of this Chapter in any zoning district, which does not meet the minimum lot area, width, and frontage requirements for the zoning district, may be utilized for new or modified development, provided that such development complies with all of the density, intensity, and bulk regulations for that zoning district.
(4) Abutting vacant substandard lots under the same ownership must be combined prior to development per Section 18-168.
(5) A lot of record existing upon the effective date of this Chapter in the RH-35 zoning district which is less than 35 acres in area and which has no dwelling units may be utilized for one detached single family dwelling unit.
(6) Except for outlots that received variances prior to the effective date of this Chapter, this section shall not apply to outlots without access to a public right of way that existed prior to the effective date of this Chapter since they are not intended for development.
(Code 1982, § 17.12(3))
Back to Chapter Table of Contents