Chapter 6. Fire Protection
Sec. 6-51. Fire prevention.
(1) Fire prevention bureau. Fire prevention shall be enforced as follows:
- Enforcement. Fire prevention shall be enforced under the supervision of the chief of the fire and rescue department.
- Appointment of deputy chief. The fire chief shall appoint a deputy chief to be in charge of fire prevention. He may be removed at the discretion of the fire chief.
- Fire inspectors. The fire chief may detail such members of the fire and rescue department as inspectors as shall from time to time be necessary.
(2) Inspections. The fire chief, deputy chief for fire prevention or an inspector, upon the complaint of any person or whenever he or they deem it necessary, may inspect any building or premises within their jurisdiction. If entry to a premises is denied by the owner or occupant, a special inspection warrant shall be obtained pursuant to § 66.0119 Wis. Stats.
(3) Orders. Whenever any of the officers, members or inspectors of the fire and rescue department or bureau of fire prevention shall find in any building or upon any premises dangerous or hazardous conditions, they shall order such dangerous conditions or materials to be removed or remedied in such manner as may be specified by the fire chief or deputy chief for fire prevention.
(4) Service of orders. Service of orders shall be in accordance with the following:
- The service of such orders as mentioned in this chapter may be made upon the owner, occupant or other person responsible for the conditions, either by delivering a copy of the order personally or by delivering the order to any person in charge of the premises, or if no such person is found upon the premises, by affixing a copy thereof in a conspicuous place on the door to the entrance of the premises. Whenever it is necessary to serve such an order upon the owner of the premises, it may be served either by delivering to and leaving with the person a copy of the order, or if the owner is absent from the jurisdiction of the officer making the order, by mailing such a copy to the owner's last known post office address.
- If buildings or other premises are owned by one person and occupied by another under lease or otherwise, the orders issued and enforcing this chapter shall apply to the occupant thereof, except where the rules or orders require the making of additions to or changes in the premises themselves. In such cases the rules or orders shall affect the owner and not the occupant unless otherwise agreed between the owner and the occupant.
(Code 1982, § 5.05)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents