Chapter 8. Traffic Code
Sec. 8-111. Regulation of bicycles.
In addition to the requirements contained in § 347.489 Wis. Stats. adopted by reference in section 8-01 of this chapter, the following regulations will apply to bicycles:
(1) Generally. Except as herein provided, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle upon any street in the City of Marshfield unless the bicycle is registered and tagged, as set forth in this section. This subsection shall apply to all residents of the City of Marshfield and to such nonresidents who operate bicycles upon the streets of the City of Marshfield habitually or frequently either in going to work or for other purposes, but shall not apply to casual travelers or tourists passing through the city on their bicycles.
(2) Registration. Upon acquisition of a bicycle, registration and reregistration shall be made by filing with the police department the name and address of the owner, together with a complete description of the bicycle, on forms provided by such department, as a public record. The registration fee shall be as set forth in subsection (3) of this section. Upon such registration the department shall cause an identification tag to be affixed to the bicycle, serially numbered to correspond to the registration number. Such tag shall remain affixed to the bicycle unless removed by the department for cause or for retagging upon reregistration.
(3) Term, fee. Registration shall be for a period of five years, commencing January 1, and shall be renewed at the end of each five-year period. The registration fee shall be $5.00 for the five-year period. All such registrations shall expire on December 31 of the applicable five-year period, and all bicycles shall be reregistered in the same manner and for the same fee as the registration commencing at the beginning of the prior five-year period. In case of theft or loss of the registration tag, a duplicate shall be issued for a fee of $5.00. No person shall willfully remove, deface or destroy any such identification tag.
(4) Right-of-way. No person shall ride or propel any bicycle upon any part of any public street, highway, boulevard, sidewalk or alley in such a manner as to interfere with the rights of other persons using such street, highway, boulevard, sidewalk or alley, or in any other than a careful and prudent manner.
(5) Speed. No bicycle shall be ridden upon any public street, highway, boulevard or alley at a speed faster than is reasonable and proper for traffic conditions at the time, and every bicycle shall be operated with due regard to the safety of the operator and others upon the streets, highways, boulevards and alleys of the city.
(6) Rules of the road. Persons riding or propelling bicycles shall observe all traffic signs and signals and stop when and as required by such traffic signals and signs, shall signal for all turns and stops, ride at the righthand side of the street or highway as near as may be to the street curb, pass to the left when passing vehicles or bicycles which are slower moving and on the right side when meeting. No person shall operate a bicycle upon any public street, highway, boulevard or alley abreast of or to the left of another person operating a bicycle except while passing such bicycle.
(7) Hours of operation. No person under the age of 12 shall operate a bicycle upon any public street, highway, boulevard or alley between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
(8) Method of operation. It shall be unlawful to operate a bicycle without at least one hand on the handlebars.
(9) Sidewalk operation. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle on any sidewalk in the City of Marshfield, except as provided by the Administrative Code of Traffic and Parking Regulations, and then only if operated with due care and caution.
(10) Penalties. Penalties for violation of this section shall be as follows:
- Any person over the age of 15 years who shall violate the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, pay a forfeiture as prescribed by section 1-05 of this Code, plus the costs of prosecution. The maximum forfeiture shall not exceed the maximum forfeiture provided by the applicable Wisconsin Statute.
- Persons of the age of 14 and 15 years who shall violate the provisions of this section shall be ordered to appear in Marshfield Municipal Court and shall pay a forfeiture as prescribed by section 1-05 of this Code, except that the maximum shall not exceed the maximum permitted by the applicable Wisconsin Statute. Jurisdiction of offenses defined in this subsection shall be in the Marshfield Municipal Court of Wood County, Wisconsin.
- Parents or legal guardians of persons under the age of 14 years shall be held responsible for such child's violations of the provisions of this section as provided in § 346.77Wis. Stats. and, in the event of a conviction of such child for a violation of the provisions of this section, shall pay a forfeiture as provided by section 1-05 of this Code. The forfeiture, in any event, shall not exceed the maximum set forth in the applicable Wisconsin Statute.
(Code 1982, § 7.19; Ord. No. 936, § 3, 4, 8-13-2002)
Back to Chapter Table of Contents