Development Services


What is my property zoned and what uses are allowed in that zoning district?

You may contact the Development Services Department at 715-486-2016 and ask for the zoning of a property. Please have the address and/or the parcel number readily available. You may also use our Marshfield Public GIS Viewer ( to search for your property's zoning district. If you need some help navigating the web viewer please review this guide.

What is a site plan and and when is it required?

A site plan is a scaled plan of the lot with all improvements shown on the plan. Site plans are required for projects requiring a building permit. Development Services Department can provide a map of your property if necessary.

When do I need a permit?

Permits are required for a wide variety of new construction and remodeling or alteration work. Examples of work that requires a permit includes; but is not limited to, the following:

New construction (residential and non-residential)
Alteration or remodel
Garages, accessory buildings and storage buildings
Swimming pools greater than 36 inches in depth or height. Includes above-ground and in-ground pools.
Signs (permanent and temporary)
Electrical and plumbing installation or upgrades
Heating and air conditioning installations or replacements
Decks or porches
Driveway, parking lot or concrete slabs
Work on new or modified telecommunication structures
Temporary structures 
Moving or razing buildings

For permit forms and applications please click here

More information on permits and when inspections are necessary 

Click here

What codes or ordinances regulate building or development in the City of Marshfield?

Chapter 6- Fire Protection
Chapter 15- Buildings and Building Regulations
Chapter 16- Plumbing
Chapter 17- Electrical Code
Chapter 18- Zoning Code 
Chapter 19- Subdivision and Platting
Chapter 20- Shoreland-Wetland
Chapter 24- Sign Code
Chapter 25- Construction Site Erosion Control
Chapter 26- Floodplain Ordinance
Chapter 30- Official Master Street Map