Planning & Economic Development
The development review process is handled by the Development Review Team (DRT). The goal of the DRT is to assist you and to help make the process as economical and efficient as possible for all concerned. This information outlines the City’s essential requirements and procedures. The Planning and Economic Development Department is the primary contact throughout the review and approval process.
The following information needs to be prepared by the developer for a complete application. It serves as the basis for discussions between the developer, the Planning Department, and other City representatives. It is intended to provide the developer with an advisory review of the project without incurring major costs. Detailed requirements are in the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances. These Ordinances are available on the City Web Site here, or for purchase at the Building Services Division offices (6th Floor of City Hall Plaza, 630 S. Central Ave.).
The approval process includes a new partnership amongst your City departments: Planning and Economic Development, Building Services, Public Works, Fire, and Electric and Water. The process involves a single coordinated process with multiple step approval. (Please note that additional plans and approvals may be required by individual departments.) The steps are:
- Development Review Team
- Application to the Plan Commission (if applicable) approval (if applicable)
- Common Council (DRT) meeting(s)
Certain projects involving public utilities and streets may need separate approvals from the Board of Public Works, the Marshfield Utilities Commission, and/or relevant State agencies.
There are two major categories of development, per §18.114, that automatically require "design review," which includes a hearing at the Plan Commission and final approval by the Common Council:
- Site and structural development of residential projects having 9 or more dwelling units on a single lot; or
- Large nonresidential structural development with two or more buildings or gross floor area of 50,000 square feet.
Other projects may need review by the Development Review Team or may need special approvals, dependent upon existing and/or potential circumstances. Always contact the Planning Department to determine the reviews and approvals necessary for your proposal.
1. Development Review Team Pre-application meeting regarding proposal Identify Issues & Application Procedures (City Staff)
2. Development Review Team (2nd Meeting) Review & Address All Issues in the Application (City Staff & Applicant)
3. Project Submission Addressing Identified Issues & Standards, and preparation of Applicable Permit, Conditional Use Permit, and Other Applications.
4. Public Hearing is Published in Newspaper & Mailed to Neighbors.
5. City Staff Individually Review Application and Written Recommendation Forwarded to Plan Commission.
6. Plan Commission Holds a Public Hearing & Considers Application Request. (Public Hearing On Application Request May be Continued & Additional Information Requested)
7. Plan Commission makes recommendations to the Common Council on Zoning Amendments, conditional use permits, special exceptions, design review and preliminary & final plats.
8. Common Council approves or denies application request. Approved planning actions are filed with the City Clerk and Building Services.