City of Marshfield Employment
Zoo Education Coordinator
This position will entail the promotion of the Wildwood Zoo and Wildwood Zoological Society through development and implementation of education programs and special events. This will include development and management of on-site educational programs – including the presentation and evaluation of ongoing programs, working with educational program presenters, providing leadership and guidance to volunteers, coordination of zoo tours and assisting in coordination and delivery of Zoological Society special events and educational programs.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Organizes and coordinates educational programs for zoo patrons in topics relating from wildlife to conservation.
2. Coordinates and performs zoo tours to groups while presenting information about the collection of exhibited animals.
3. Develops and maintains interpretive and educational exhibits and displays within the zoo and for outreach programs.
4. Aids Zoological Society with special event planning, promotion and implementation with an emphasis on securing sponsorships, donations, and volunteer recruitment for special events.
5. Assists Zoological Society with membership services and recruitment.
6. Recruits, trains and coordinates education program volunteers.
7. Develops and maintains effective communications with department staff, Zoological Society Board of Directors, visitors, volunteers and program participants.
8. Submits program evaluations to program participants, reviews and submits evaluations to supervisor and Zoological Society Board of Directors for analysis of program effectiveness and quality.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work and duties as apparent and required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
General knowledge of and course work in:
Education, Communications, Public Relations, Interpretive Techniques, Marketing, Computer Skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, desktop publishing/graphics software programs). Biology, Zoology, Animal Husbandry, and Horitculture (helpful, but not required).
•Communicate well with variety of age and user groups both orally and written.
•Ability to work independently with little direct supervision.
•Work with the general public and community organizations.
•Provide good customer service.
•Maintain a positive interest in zoo related items including animal welfare, education programming, and horticulture.
•Work in a flexible team atmosphere.
Additional Skills:Photography, Graphic Arts, Writing, Public Speaking.
Must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License.
$12.50 - $15.00 (rate increases based on satisfactory performance appraisal and available funding)
Application Instructions: Submit City of Marshfield Application for Employment and cover letter to Parks and Recreation, 630 S. Central Ave., 7th Floor, P.O. Box 727, Marshfield, WI 54449-0727. Phone (715) 486-2049. E-mail – email@example.com Application deadline: January 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm. The City of Marshfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please Note: If an email is provided on the application, it may be used to communicate with you throughout the process. With this in mind, please check your email (if one is provided) on a regular basis.